Our Après Ski Fondue recipe is perfect for a cozy, shared meal with close friends after a long day on the slopes! This recipe is best enjoyed with our Black Diamond Cabernet Sauvignon as the velvety tannins intertwine with the richness of the cheeses, leaving your palate to enjoy the medley of dark fruit qualities of this elegant wine.
• 1 garlic clove, halved
• 1 pound Gruyère cheese, grated
• 1/2 pound Emmentaler cheese or other Swiss cheese, grated
• 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon cornstarch
• 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
• 1 1/2 tablespoons kirsch
• Freshly ground pepper
• Freshly grated nutmeg
• 2 cups torn toasted bread
• 1 jar Cornichon
• 3 grilled sausages, sliced into rounds
• 2 cups roasted Brussels sprout halves
• 2 pears
• 2 apples
Après Ski Fondue
Recommended wine pairing – Black Diamond Cabernet Sauvignon
1. Rub the inside of a cheese fondue pot or medium enameled cast-iron casserole with the garlic clove; discard the garlic.
2. Combine the grated Gruyère and Emmentale, cornstarch and lemon juice in the fondue pot and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the cheeses begin to melt, about 5 minutes.
3. Reduce heat to low. Add the kirsch and a generous pinch each of pepper and nutmeg and cook, stirring gently, until creamy and smooth, about 3 minutes; don’t overcook the fondue or it will get stringy. Serve at once.
4. Almost anything goes together perfectly with fondue, so create your own sides and dips.
5. Pair with 2020 Black Diamond Cabernet Sauvignon.
Serve warm fondue with toasted bread, cornichon, grilled sausage slices, roasted Brussels sprouts, sliced apples and pear.